Monday, August 22, 2005

Marvellous Maui

Part IV (and the last) on a series of photo stories on Maui


Trees above Pioneer Inn
Originally uploaded by JellyGirl.
I realise that while I have spoken about where I stayed in Maui, what I ate while there, I never said a word about the place itself! Silly me! These photos should rectify that.

I spent most of my time in Lahaina Town, probably Maui's closest answer to its city. It's really small, and most of the activity centres around one street, Front Street, so named, I'm guessing because it fronts the ocean and the harbour. It has the small-town charm without being feeling like hicksville. Rows of shophouses line Front Street, and they were either art galleries, souvenir shops selling T-shirts and other little goodies, fashion shops, jewellery stores, or little tour operators promising exciting adventures in the sea, up a mountain or in the air.

There are also little museums to see along Front Street, one is of a typical Chinese house in the 1800s, another a missionary home, and yet another is an old building which used to be the town's old courthouse, but which now contains a mini-whaling museum. The old courthouse overlooks the Lahaina harbour, a short stretch of
boats moored to little wooden jetties, mostly for tourists out looking for a pleasant cruise or offering fishing and whale-watching trips.

Behind the courthouse is a shady little square where the banyan tree sits. On my second day in Maui, I had some time to kill while waiting for my taxi to come pick me up to bring me back to the airport. So I had a double scoop of Haagen-Dazs ice-cream and sat on a bench under the banyan tree, enjoying the cool air, and had a pleasant chat with a local and another passenger from a cruise ship who had just arrived.



At the airport, a last glimpse of Maui before heading inside to wait for my plane. The view from the airport is wonderful, you get a wonderful view of the blue Pacific Ocean. I want to return to Maui again someday!

4 comments:

cour marly said...

Oooh I dig your new header image. Muy nice!

Ang Ku Kueh said...

i wwaannnttt....*sobz*.. a vacation...

Unknown said...

oh man.. this looked like a really nice holiday alright..

I really need 1 of those 2-week breaks..

JellyGirl said...

Cour: Thank you! I had fun making it too. :)

AKK & Woof: I wish I could have taken a longer holiday too. The trip to Maui was just an overnight extension from my official work in Honolulu.