Monday, November 01, 2004

The answer to the universe?

On sat night, my normally recluse friend sms-ed me and asked if I wanted to go to Jazz @ Southbridge to listen to the Okazaki brothers play. I'd never heard of them before, but I like the place and hadn't been back in close to 2 years. Also, if your recluse friend wants to go out, you'd better darn go out!

Not only are the Okazaki brothers real brothers (as opposed to the brotha' , brudder kind), but they are both bald and sorta dress alike - in long-sleeved patterned shirts. The hotter one (who sorta looks like Lim Yu Beng, but shorter) plays saxophone and the other (who looks like a teddy bear) plays trumpet. It was very enjoyable and we stayed for two sets. The only songs I recognised were 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', 'Autumn Leaves' and one other old jazz song I can't remember the title of.

While we were there, I tried a 42 Below vodka cocktail. Apparently, it has won awards for Best Vodka of the Year, or something like that. I had the special manuka honey blend with frangelico and apple juice - a very nice heady, strong mix which grows on you with each sip. Very yummy. I love sweet cocktails. The vodka was peddled by a girl wearing a black 42 Below vodka T-shirt, black pleated skirt and knee-high black boots, who went from table to table trying to sell the drink. Although all the men were checking her out, nobody was biting. A group of Americans seemed quite taken with her, and one of them attempted some 'witty' banter with her:
Guy: So, you know, the number 42 is the answer to the universe.
Girl: Urrrr...right.
Guy: I'm serious! There's a book that was written and in
it, these guys in it build a computer to find out all the answers in the universe. So they build it, and when they ask it the question, they wait years and years for the answer, and when the answer comes out, it's 42. Harhar, very funny right?
Girl: You are lying.
Guy: No, I'm serious. It's true, really!
Girl: Look, will you just buy the $%&^* vodka already!
I rolled my eyeballs and continued to sip my drink.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My pick up line (if I had the guts) would have been "nah.. am sure ure a 36' at most".. heh..

Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Sounds yummy! I must go try.

littlecartnoodles said...

JellyGirl, don't be so hard on the foreign talents.

These are the same people that will vote George W back into office tomorrow for another four years of rock n roll.

JellyGirl said...

Au contraire, CZM, I actually thought that American was wasting his banter on the vodka girl. She just didn't geddit.

littlecartnoodles said...

Nah, I thought the so-called banter was lame. I think the vodka girl lost interest after the word "book".

JellyGirl said...

heehee.

Cupcake Queen said...

wow, 42 below sounds so lethal.. must go try!