Monday, May 07, 2007

Ah Pa-ree: Musee d'Orsay

My colleague left me for London on Tuesday, and while she spent the day wandering the streets of Paris while waiting for her train, I went to the Musee d'Orsay as early as I could. Evidently I was not as punctual as I'd hoped, as I got off at the wrong train station and had to walk quite a distance to reach the museum. On finally reaching the museum at 10am, I discovered a huge queue snaking past the museum and onto the pathway outside. After an hour of (fairly chilly, ooh that wind!) queueing, I finally got inside at 11am and did not emerge from there until about 4.30pm with aching feet and an empty stomach. Museuming is hard work, y'all!

It was not possible to finish the entire museum in one go, and while at first I thought I did a pretty good job of covering all the big works, I was very cheesed off to discover I had missed seeing Degas' sculpture of the little dancer. I'm going to have to go back again another time.




While the exhibits themselves were very interesting, I loved admiring the museum building itself.






No comments: