Monday, September 20, 2004

Les bien, les mal (weekend version)

Eh, this was an exciting weekend, this was.

Car story
My car battery died on Sat night while I was looking for a parking spot near the French Stall in Little India. I was running late and had stopped the car to call my friend to say "I here oledi, but just looking for parking spot", and when tried to turn on the engine, it wouldn't start. Fishballs. So I called AA to come rescue me, and at the same time called another couple of friends who were also on their way to dinner. Since it took about half an hour to 45 min for AA to arrive, we strolled off to meet the others for dinner, leaving my car blocking the Sinda Association's 'Out' gate. wahaha. Halfway through dinner, I got a call saying the mechanic was reaching my car, so I bolted down two more mouthfuls, and went over to meet him. I was told my alternator had died, so there was no point changing it. (It turns out it was just a flat battery, as I found out this morning when I called AA to jumpstart my car again) I still hadn't finished dinner but obviously couldn't switch off the engine again as it would stall, so I drove round to the restaurant, evicted H from his parking spot, and left the engine running while I continued with dinner. And of course turned around every minute to check that the car was still there. H's wife and I were a little concerned about leaving the engine running:

J: Is it OK to leave the car like that?
H: Well, look at how long you're stuck in traffic or driving from one place to another.
J: Yah, but that's when the car's moving.
H: Well, look at it this way, people park their cars and leave their engines running when they're making out.
Me: Hmm you're right, but how long does it take for people to make out?
We didn't stay for too long. The other sucky thing about that night was I had to cancel my plans to watch The Great Challenge i.e. hunky french boys climbing buildings and looking hunky. Bah. Also, I had to contend with issues like being CAR-LESS on Sunday. Travesty. But it turned out ok, cos I had friends who were not car-less and could drive me around and take me to nice places like...

Sunset Bar and Grill
Some of us from the raucous BBQ night were brought by J&H (they being Punggolites/Punggolians and more familiar with the area) way north into Seletar Air Base into the East Camp, close to the Singapore Flying Club to this nice little relak place where we pigged out on chicken wings, chili con carne, cheesie fries, deep fried mushrooms and burgers. Definitely a fat-ass filling experience. The drive in alone was quite an adventure, as we twisted and turned around a golf course, colonial bungalows and army barracks, and passed oh-so-British street names like Picadilly and Baker St. So green, so deserted! Are we still in Singapore? And we finally found ourselves sitting on the verandah, being dripped on by the overhead trees, with mosquito coil to protect us and listening to the sounds of little planes landing.

Beautiful way to end the weekend.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yah man, Punggol lotsa lians..

You've for the directions to this Sunset Bar and Grill place? I send my bro to camp there once in a while, but didn't know such a place existed! sounds lovely tho.. have you tried Dempsey Hut? same kinda concept...

Mandrake said...

oo.. yes please tell where is it? We want to visit it for Gastronomy site.. and our stomachs of course..
postal code? link from street directory?

JellyGirl said...

Err directions ah? It's quite complicated, all I can remember is it's in Seletar airbase, and you take the Picadilly fork, and follow the signs to East Camp. Look out for the carpark to Singapore Flying Club/Singapore Flying College. It's somewhere around there.

I forgot to add that Sunset Grill is run by the Jerry of Jalan Kayu and Club St.

Alternatively, if you get lost, can always go Handle Bar at 1 Lock Rd. Essentially same food, and in much easier to find location, and err...with bikies.

JellyGirl said...

I found a map! Follow the directions on the Singapore Flying Club website. Click on 'Contact Us' to see map.

Also, Woof, yeah I've been to Dempsey Hut, it's got the same colonial feel too.

Cowboy Caleb said...

so complicated to get there...

Mandrake said...

Oh, that Jerry's! Its just right around the corner of my office. Maybe I shoudl visit the one here instead...