Thursday, September 23, 2004

Ch-ch-ch-changes

The university we were supposed to hold the Engligh camp at in Korat has cancelled on us, and for a while, it looked like we had purchased a ticket to Bangkok for nuffin'. Just as I was planning a change in the focus of my mission trip from "Teach English and Be Holy" to "Buy Me More Bags in Chatuchak", we had another meeting and conclusion: the Korat trip is still on.

Now, instead of teaching English to university students, we will be visiting different areas around Korat, maybe a couple of orphanages and giving a performance at a public park, with the help of a local church (for translation, which I strongly need cos all I can say in Thai is "Hello, my name is...") and our missionaries who are stationed there. So far, the list of 'talents' which we will be entertaining the locals with are: a sign-language version of "There is None Like You", some songs, a musical interlude, balloon sculpting and 2 mime skits.

Can I just say I really hate mimes? They rank up there with tambourine dancing. What is it about Church that produces bad skits, painful mimes and dowdy peasant-skirted tambourine dancers? I know it's all about the heart and not how good/bad the performances are, but surely there is a better way of bringing the message across? Am very glad I'm not acting in the mime, and hope the Thai people are more forgiving of lame, but well-intentioned performances.

2 comments:

Mr Miyagi said...

For a moment I read 'Mines' instead of 'Mimes', and thought very hard of a connection between mines and tambourines (Boom. Ching ching ching ching).

Anyhoo, if you need Thai phrases, look no further than the wifey, who is half-Thai and all-beautiful.

If that doesn't work, try speaking English with a Thai accent. It works. Honest injun!

JellyGirl said...

Ooh, you is a lucky man to have such a beautiful wifey. :)