Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Trackback to KL


Starhill Shopping Centre, KL

KL was great. We did the two things everyone does when they visit: eat and shop. I went with my mum and sister and met my dad there, who lives in KL.

We stayed at a junior suite at the Marriott Hotel, and while it was really convenient and quite a nice room, we weren't too enthused about the service. We had requested an extra bed for my sister, who was staying two nights and going back home one day early, but after checking in on Tues night and going up to the room, discovered the extra bed was not there as requested. It took 3 phone calls and an hour long wait before someone finally hauled the bed in and set it up. And then, when settling into the main bed, discovered the sheets and pillowcases had not been changed from the last guest. Eeew. But it was too late and we were too tired to complain. Oh, and another thing, don't bother with the breakfast. It sucks. Their idea of toasting bread is to squish it onto a black grill for a few seconds, so what you get is soft bread with black bits. Yum. Lucky KL has heaps other wonderful places to eat.

For my birthday dinner, we tried the Third Floor Restaurant, which was surprisingly, located on the third floor of the Marriott Hotel. Despite the name, it's a good restaurant, some sort of Australian fusion place. I started off with a yummy foie gras with peach appetiser served in a shotglass, and had the beef wagyu for mains. I think they could have done a little better with the presentation:

It kinda looks like a turd, doncha think? But it was very good, best mashed potatoes I've had in a long time. For dessert, I had the mango in champagne sabayon and a tiny sliver of the complimentary chocolate cake the nice chef baked for me. We couldn't finish the petit fours they brought out with the coffee so we doggie-bagged the biscotti and chocolates and shamelessly asked for more. I like this place!

Thurs and Fri were spent roaming around One Utama, Midvalley Mall, KL Plaza, Lot 10 and Bangsar Shopping Centre. I ended up buying three pairs of shoes (two from Vincci and one from Lewre) and numerous tops from F.O.S. and Izzue.

In between all the mad shopping, my dad introduced us to new places to eat like Ah Koong's Seafood Place off Jln Pudu (I think) for the slurpilicious fish soup and yong tau foo. Oh, and I finally got to try rotiboy. It does live up to what all people say about it- soft and sweet. Not enough butter in mine though. Wonder how long this new food trend is going to last.

Aside from the eating and shopping, there was one weak attempt to do some exercise. We played tennis once on Wed but am afraid that 2 hour stint was cancelled out by all the food we consumed. Eh, it's a new year. I'll lose weight this month...before Chinese New Year comes round the corner.

Swag - pick of the litter
I got lots of really good presents this year, both for Christmas and birthday. But my favourites were the:
- charm bracelet with shoes
- Paul & Joe triplegloss
- Dirty Girl mini spa kit
- One Piece Vol. 1 manga


4 comments:

Cupcake Queen said...

Wah, you sure did cover most of the major shopping spots in KL. Ooh, Third Floor is really good but ridiculously expensive.

Unknown said...

It was years ago.. but I loved the Marriott!

1 question that no one has been able to answer: Are the comforters and pillows still goose down? I miss those..

JellyGirl said...

Cupcake Queen: Yes, I was a girl with a mission! The only time I get to shop is when I'm on holiday.

Woof!: I'm actually more of an Ascott girl. Dunno if the pillows and comforters were goosedown, couldn't tell, but once they changed the sheets, it was really comfortable, that much I can tell you.

FF said...

Service everywhere in Malaysia sucks.