Thursday, January 20, 2005

Not too shabby

So...the interview went pretty well. It went for much longer than I expected, a little over an hour, and at the end of it, I was asked to come back again some time next week for another round, this time to meet the other Assoc Director and some other colleagues. That's a good sign, yah?

I can't remember everything to give a blow-by-blow account, but generally, it didn't feel like a proper interview. I was interviewed by on of the ADs, and he did a lot of the talking, explaining the company structure, management style, the kind of person they were looking for etc. And he didn't specifically ask me questions, so I found that every so often, I would try to interject and say stuff like, "Yes I can do that. I am talented multitasker..." My biggest boo-boo was the question I hate the most, the "what do you see yourself doing in 3 years?". I anticipated this question would probably be asked, but was still not able to formulate a satisfactory answer, and as good as gave a "umm..I dunno" kind of answer, the details of which I'm too embarrassed to disclose here. He point blank told me that wasn't a very good answer and that I should have anticipated a question like that and it was a very standard question asked at interviews. At that point during the interview, my brain just went, "Sheeeeeeeeet! He's scratched me off the list!", but I managed to remain calm and smile and talk normally throughout the rest of the interview. I was fairly surprised at the end when he told me to email him again on Mon to arrange another meeting.

Overall, I've got good vibes about this company, and it looks like I could have a good time working there. From what I can gather, their biggest concern is finding the right person who's not going to up and leave in the next 6 months and can handle the pressures of working in an agency. On a related note, my renewal contract has come through. Crunch time is here! I have to make a decision! And it all hangs on next week.

2 comments:

None said...

ah the dreaded question....phear! =D

Ah 9

Cowboy Caleb said...

don't worry, I'm sure you aced it