Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kay Nielsen illustrations


I grew up on a diet of nursery rhymes and fairy tales, packaged in beautifully illustrated books, of which  the Edmund Dulac and Andrew Lang books were my favourite. Even though I'm now an adult, I still have an eye out for beautiful books, and take great pleasure in keeping and building my collection of fairy stories.

Today, I discovered Kay Nielsen, a Danish illustrator who was around the same time as Edmund Dulac. Just like Dulac, I love his beautiful use of colour and detail to build a fantastic fairy world. The pictures here are from 2 of his books:

East of the Sun and West of the Moon



Twelve Dancing Princesses




See more illustrations for East of the Sun and West of the Moon, Twelve Dancing Princesses, and other fairy tales.

No comments: