Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hachi

Quick comment: I visited Hachi a couple of months ago, but never got round to blogging about it. Now that I've moved to the UK, it's becoming a challenge to find a good Japanese restaurant that serves fresh sashimi, so I have to rely on my memory for those yummy Japanese meals I used to have.

The great thing about eating omakase, is there's this element of "ooh I wonder what's next", which may not sit well with melancholic personality types who like to plan ahead. I think it's great, as I don't have to guess what's good on the menu, and then stress about making the wrong decisions in picking food.

Hachi is one of those Japanese restaurants which doesn't have a menu. You go in, sit down and tell the chef if there's anything you don't eat, and he takes it from there. This place had been on my "to-eat" list for the many months, but I never got round to it until the night I met up with an old friend as part of my goodbye dinners.

This particular menu was very light, and the individual dishes have kind of blurred into a nice hazy memory, but I do recall some of them:
  • Mashed potato, veggies
  • 3 kinds of sashimi, one of which was pufferfish
  • Sashimi
  • Soup
  • Pumpkin & tomato
Since it was quite light-going at this point, we were in no way ready to throw in the towel just yet, so when the the chef looked at us and said "More?", we requested for the wagyu beef (because my friend said it was divine), and finished off with a ochazuke and pickles. By this time, we were well and truly full, but not quite full enough not to end the meal with some green tea ice-cream.

From what I've heard, Hachi will be closed at Orchard Emerald and moving to Tanjong Pagar sometime this month. I'll admit Hachi is not exactly cheap and definitely not the kind of place you can visit every week, but I do think it's worth visiting just once to taste some excellent Japanese food.

Cost: $130 per person (the wagyu beef was $30 per person)

2 comments:

JT said...

Hey JellyGirl, I am intending to go to England for a week in Feb and would like to ask if you have any tips on what to do there? (Right now, I've only thought of going to all the street markets.)

If you have any free time, please do contact me.

missyjatguise@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you ate fugu: Nice bravery. I'm far too cowardly.

Hope you find some good Japanese restaurants in London soon!