Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Head case


What it takes to maintain my hair

Reading Who What Wear Daily's post made me realise how much I spend on my hair. Before, a shampoo and conditioner and a quick blast with a hairdryer was enough, but gradually, I've found my list of "essentials" has grown to: shampoo, leave-in treatment, conditioner, heat protection spray, serum for dry ends, not to mention a special ionic hairdryer and a good brush. Let's not forget the optional extras like hair rollers and straightening cream.

The post also reminded me of an article I read a while back, as I felt it was a good reminder to myself to read the ingredients label on shampoo bootles. Essentially, it’s ok to stinge on buying shampoo. Best to get those that state SLES or TEA Lauryl Sulfate and steer clear of those that contain Ammonium:
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate - harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - still harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - mild, great choice
TEA Lauryl Sulfate - gentle, good choice
TEA Laureth Sulfate - gentle, also a good choice
This has made me a very happy camper as now it means I can stop buying Kerastase shampoos and channel the money into other things...like more haircare products.

No comments: